Sunday, December 21, 2008

Visit Boomtown!



My third book for review for Thomas Nelson Publishers was a juvenile piece of fiction called Boomtown: Chang's Famous Fireworks Factory. Author Nowen N. Particualr has done a bang-up job of drawing a smile to the reader's face telling tales of the citizens of Boomtown, Washington, USA. The folks of Boomtown include everything from fireworks to Hen-Grenades and Rocket Reindeer at every event and celebration. You never know what will blast the town into a new day.

I did find the sub-plot, a mystery, is a bit vague during most of the story. Also, one character's participation in the mysterious events could have been developed a bit more, maybe to let the reader in on a bit of the secret.

I appreciate the author using a vocabulary above children level. Always appreciate the opportunity to expand kids' vocabs. Examples? Hortaculture, canopy, stoic, plundering marauders. See what I mean?

I can just see Adam Chandler as the pastor who is, I suppose, the main character of the story. I think it would make a good comedy. A Laurel and Hardy kind of film for the new millenium.

No comments: