Friday, January 9, 2009

Rex, by Cahtleen Lewis. Thomas Nelson Publishers


Now this is a book I absolutely love and highly recommend. REX is the story of love and hope and determination and so much more. And quite frankly, in my estimation, the hero of the story is not Rex, the boy, but his mom. Cathleen is amazing! Her energy and love for her son is something that any woman CAN posses but many don't.

As a reader, I found myself rooting for Rex as I have my own children through their struggles and accomplishments in life. Until recently those struggles for my children were small potatoes to Rex's. Recently my adult son became a quadraplegic from an IED explosion in Iraq. The tasks that my son has learned to accomplish show the determination that one must possess to overcome obstacles and live a full live. Fuller than full actually. Ms. Lewis, Rex's mom, needed to be his determination as his autism kept him from expressing his own for a long time.

This reminds me of the time when I was speaking with Andrew on the phone, he was in California and I in New Jersey, when he suddenly let out a "soft" expletive. I asked what happend and his reply was that he had dropped a handful of shaving cream on the floor. Shaving Cream? Why was my son bothering with shaving cream and a razor when he could have simply grabbed an electric razor and been done with the job. After all, he has no finger movement, necessary for blade shaving. Why? Because he wanted to!

Rex's mom helped him avoid the easy way out and try and accomplish the more difficult, to live a fuller life. Skiing? Blind and Austistic? Rough stumbling blocks but not impossible ones. I wonder if I would have half the energy and will that she continued to exhibit on her son's behalf.

Rex's sweet personality will captivate your heart and Cathleen will inspire you to hold on and let go of your children all at the same time.

This book is a real blessing. Think I'll read it again, very soon.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm reading this book, too, and will be posting my review soon. I agree with your review! I'm thoroughly enjoying Rex.