Saturday, September 13, 2008

We went on a date last night!

Bill and I still date, occasionally. Yes we do!

Sometimes we go to WaWa for a cup of coffee soon after dinner trying to leave the Tastykakes alone and just sticking to coffee. Similar I guess to the Gilded Age, when folks would retire to the drawing room, enjoy coffee, tea, and mutual conversation for perhaps a half-hour. But we fill our paper cups, pop on the lids and return home in our Dodge Ram Pick-up. Often you will find us ending the date on the bench on the front porch, until the bugs start biting. Then we retire indoors to enjoy television, computer time and a good night's sleep, unless, we drank regular coffee.

Or we may go to The Home Depot or Lowe's for something. We are known for this date place. Recently friends of Andrew sent us a thank you note including a Home Depot gift card and they told us to "have a nice date". Wonder who tipped them off?

Reminds me of the time we went to Lowe's. Or was it the Depot? None the less, Bill needed a new tree pruner. I knew this was not going to be a short date when we found several brands and styles and prices from which to choose. Bill needed the long handled kind, with the telescoping pole to reach up into the trees. His unrepairable pruner was more than 20 years old.

As Bill examined, re-examined and read every word of the packaging on every pruner, I started roaming around the store as I often do on these excursions.

When we first had entered the store I noticed a lovely white bench assembled for display and purchase. I thought it would look quite nice on our front porch, replacing the antique church pew that really needed to be refinished and brought out of the weather. I pointed the bench out to Bill and he gave it a cursory glance and continued to the gardening tool section.

As I walked around the store I stopped by the bench, testing it for comfort and visualizing it on our front porch. Our home is painted Federal Blue with white shutters and this would be perfect. The porch is not too wide, not too long so this love-seat size bench would fit just right.

Bill continued to examine pruners. I spied power washers nearby. We don't have one and that blue siding on the house could use a bit of a clean up, especially if we are going to take home this bench.

As I continue to roam Bill is oblivious to what is about to happen to his wallet. I really admire his shopping style tho. Peering through the blister packaging, pulling the rope, clamping the jaws of the pruner, he will decide which one will work the best, last the longest and most importantly, be the easiest to repair. Bill can repair and assemble just about anything! Except his old pruner. Oh and the kids' Speak and Spell (circa 1980) but that's another story.

I spy a nice piece of outdoor carpet, about 6x10. That will go great in the screened-in porch on the pool side of the house.

Bill has finally made his choice and I have returned from my roaming. I point out the power washer and Bill suggests I go get a cart. By the way, this purchase decision only took a few minutes. He must have researched power washers on a previous trip. With that in the cart and the pruner propped with more than half its height over our heads, we continue to the carpet piece. Bill agrees, good price, good idea, in the cart!

On the way to the register I whisper in my sweetheart's ear, "Bill what do you think of that bench? I saw there are only two left boxed on a shelf."

A bit more urgently and touching his shoulder I say, "Oh, another couple is looking at our bench! Look, she's sitting on it! What do you think, Hon?"

Oh the passion!

"Go get a bigger cart!" Such a romantic that husband of mine.

Did you know a simple pruner can cost upwards of $500? I never said I was a cheap date!

Oh, I forgot to tell you about last night's date. Another time. Soon, I promise. It was a bit cheaper.

1 comment:

Nana2Six said...

There is something interesting about the fact, it would appear, that as we age our dates start to take on the simple pleasures and necessities of life. A trip to WaWa in NJ or the Handy Mart here... a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot. The simple being together part is enough! When we first moved here to the south, we spent so much time at Lowe's that they started to know us by name!

BTW... The bench on the porch is cute and worth every penny!