Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Seeing the picture of the bench on our front porch...


Reminds me of the time...

Andrew was on his first deployment with the Marine Corps to Iraq (2004) when he called home in August to ask if we were doing anything October 23.

"Ummm, why?" I asked. Since his return was expected early September, I was thinking vacation or family reunion.

"Well, Sara and I have chosen October 23 to get married." was his response.

Looks like I will not be going to my high school's 35'th reunion planned for that evening. I was on the planning committee this time, but not really fond of reunions, so I was not terribly disappointed.

So we have a wedding on the calendar.

Circumstances became such that Sara was staying with us when Andrew returned from that deployment in September as scheduled. A week or so after his return he had purchased a ring and was planning on officially proposing and presenting the ring. Olive Garden was their favorite restaurant and the plan was to propose there. However, Andrew not needing a jacket and not wearing loose fitting pants had no pockets to hide the ring box. Plan B?

On the way out the door, Andrew tossed the ring to his sister Kelly and whispered, "Take this, set up the front porch with all the candles you can find in the house. Make it look romantic. Oh, and record a bunch of songs on a cd. Country music, including our song, ... Put your cd player and speakers on the porch."

These many years later I can't remember the name of their song but it had something about blueberries in it I think.

"I'll call you when we are on our way home, almost to the house. Light all the candles and turn on the music and skidaddle." were Andrew's final instructions.

So Kelly & her faithful accomplice (me) did exactly that. Kelly worked on the music and the cd. I scrounged up every nice candle we had. Can you believe I even had a heart shaped one? I think we counted at least 40 candles.

Phone call came as they were close by, we lit the candles and watched for the headlights coming up the street. Kelly pushed play on the cd player and we dashed in the house, making sure no lights were on in the front rooms, careful to give them additional privacy.

So did the accomplices go to their rooms? Downstairs out of earshot and sight? I should say not! We did duck under the dining room table, which is that front room. Andrew had told Sara to close her eyes before they got in front of the house and he led her from car to porch and then said, "Open your eyes." It was such a lovely romantic scene. We had even placed the ring box next to the heart shaped candle on the white loveseat (bench mentioned in previous posting).

And there we were, Kelly & I, in the dark, listening and peeking as the sweethearts commenced to promise unending love to each other. Sara squeeled and giggled. (We stiffled ours.) Andrew softly proposed. (Kelly and I shushed each other.) We couldn't hear it all, but we sure tried. We would pop our heads up from our hiding spot to take a peek. We noticed Sara wiping tears from her eyes. Not wanting her to ruin her makeup and get all red nosed, Kelly quietly opened the front door and tossed a box of tissues out at the adoring couple, then hurried back under the table, belly laughing at this point.

The jig was up.

To end the event Andrew asked for two cups of hot chocolate served on the porch. I tossed in a lovely throw as the night was getting a bit chilly. I even took a few pictures for them.

Kelly and I knew it was time to "skidaddle" at this point and left the couple to continue their night to remember.

I wonder if they remember the event in quite the same way?

3 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful story!

I don't remember you telling about this but you know how the memory is these days....!!

Linda

kels42 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kels42 said...

I just read this and I think I may have laughed almost as hard just remembering that night. Wow ~ what a great memory. Glad we are a great team! :)


~Kelly