Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thelma & Louise? NOT!!!

So, I received one comment on my blogspot yesterday from a very dear friend, Susan.

Hearing from her reminded me of the time she and I took a road trip together. It was the return leg of her trip to Florida to attend her daughter Jennifer's college graduation and wedding.

Jennifer lives in W Palm, Fl which is on the East coast. Susan picked me up at my daughter's home in Sarasota, West Coast.

And then we drove to Orlando, Central Fl - then on to St Simon's Island Ga - more Eastward. Then we bounced to Atlanta, GA - then to Richmond VA and then home to NJ.

Don't remember the price of gas back in 2002 but it was do-able on our meager budget.

Did I mention that Susan's vehicle at the time was a 1985 Ford Pick Up? Well, yes, that was our mode of transportation. And we shared driving. Susan doesn't like to drive much and I am a bit of control freak so we balanced each other out.

Highlights?
  • Reading Lisa Samson's Women's Intuition. Started reading it aloud to each other while taking turns driving. Started just outside of Sarasota and finished it 5 miles from home.
  • St Simon's Island - Methodist Camp - Lighthouse. Beautiful!
  • Cypress Gardens. Did you know it had already closed (out of business) by 2002? Well we found that out as we passed through the gates. It was sad for Susan as she had seen the Gardens in its glory days years ago. I was just glad we did not get arrested for trespassing when the owner caught us driving around.
  • Wycliffe Bible Translators - tour of facility - very inspirational. It is wonderful to see how the Word of God is being translated in so very many languages.
  • Driving into Atlanta at 8PM which is still rush-hour there. Yes I was driving. Felt like we were a ball in the pinball machine on those interstates, winding around and into the city. Felt like someone else had control of the wheel. Well, He did and did quite a good job of getting us safely to a friend's home.
  • Driving Susan's truck into Peach Tree (Atlanta) to visit my company's corporate office. I got lost. When I got lost I went into a UPS store and asked if they could put me and my pickup into one of their brown trucks and they could deliver me to my destination. Cute young man at the counter said, "Mam, we don't do that here." Very cute.
  • I caught up with a cousin I hadn't seen in years. And Susan spent some quality time with her friend, our host Leslie.
  • Visiting with a friend's grandmother and aunt in Richmond. Such a sweet time with these dear ladies.
I am sure there is much I have forgotten, we did not journal. Maybe Susan did. Maybe she has pictures. However, without details secured in my memory, I remember it was great. And unlike the ladies in the title of this blog - I didn't see the movie and know nothing of them, except - we returned alive, well, and smiling.

Did I tell you about my overnight stay at the Atlanta airport on my way to Sarasota in the first place?

Another story, another time.





2 comments:

Nana2Six said...

This was the true sign of an amazing friend! :)

Ask my friend to tell you about how we became so involved in the lives of Prisma and Leslie and the other women in the story that we almost could NOT put the book down. And when we were reading aloud to each other we took on the voices of the characters! Carole is better at this than I am!

While we were on St. Simon's at Epworth by the Sea... we were transported back to Civil War era where Eugenia Price lived and wrote of amazing heroes.

It was a wonderful trip... the kind that only happens once in a lifetime... priceless.

PS ... It was a 1987.. F150.. not that two years matters much with a vehicle that old! :) Still can't beleive we did it and were not even concerned one bit about whether the truck would make it or not! God is good!

Blessings, Carole said...

See I told you her memory was better than mine. Carole